Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Final Countdown

I leave for DC in twelve hours. Originally, the plan was for me to fly from North Carolina to DC and arrive around 2 p.m., but one of the professors of the copy editing camp has to drive there anyway and she offered me a ride. I'm always up for a road trip, and I had NO idea how I was going to get from the airport to my apartment anyway, so I agreed. The airline is crediting the cost of the ticket to me, so I won't have to pay for my entire return trip in September.

I can't believe that I'll be there tomorrow. The idea that I will be walking past the Supreme Court tomorrow night blows my mind. I'm just thrilled. I have to say, I think I got the most exciting location of all the Dow Jones interns. Other people may be going to cities they really like, and I'm jealous of my camp roommate, who's going back to her own home and her own bed, but I can't imagine anyone being more excited than I am about DC.

I'm a tad homesick and I miss my cats, but once I get there, I'll be ok. The whole camp thing, sleeping in dorms, going out to eat for every meal, not sleeping enough, is really messing with my system. Once I settle in somewhere and cook my own food for a few days I'll be quite happy.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can really do any of the touristy things, but I'll try to keep people updated. I can't wait to see Congress. I may go to a museum and/or the zoo this weekend. Stay posted for photos of the pandas!

No comments: