Saturday, April 19, 2008

New Job

Two years and many thousands of dollars after deciding to return to school, I'm nearing the end. I have no more classes (aside from the online political science course I'm taking this term just for fun) and the first draft of my terminal project has been turned in to my advisers. Last week, I went on the first interview to come out of all the resumes I've sent out -- and got the job!

On May 19, I begin working as a copy editor for a small paper in Washington state (in the interest of being careful about blogging, I won't say on here where it is, but I'd be happy to tell whoever asks). I spent two days interviewing for the job last week and got the job offer the day after I left. I've accepted and am now in the process of trying to figure out the logistics of finding an apartment and moving to a town where I don't know anyone. There is some stress involved in this process, but I'm very excited about the job. It'll be an adventure, but it's nice to finally be done with school and be starting a real career. The job should be a lot of fun. The paper's coverage is very localized and they run some pretty interesting features, so it'll be fun to edit. The job will also have a strong focus on Web material, which will be great experience. It's a bigger paper than I expected to end up at and all I wanted when I began this job search was to be in the northwest and within a day's drive of home, so I'm thrilled.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared to really be going and starting a new career somewhere far away, but this is much closer than I expected to be able to stay and in most ways, I'm relieved that I'll finally have a real adult career (and a real paycheck). I'll miss everyone in Oregon and it'll be scary to have to find an entirely new group of friends, but I can't wait to get started. The stress and anticipation of the next month will be tough, but I'll get over it once I get there and start working.

4 comments:

Mr. Burns said...

Congratulations, Jo! I know it's stressful and scary going pro in journalism. But hey - think of how things were for you three years ago. It's all uphill from here!

Copy Editor said...

Thanks!

You've got a good point. Hard to believe that was three years ago. Wow.

Anonymous said...

Jo - Congrats! It's nice to follow up on KF people and see they are doing well.

Copy Editor said...

Thanks, Tim. :)